We encourage families to have conversations about life and what matters most. Learn about meaningful memorialization today.
A gift to your family, sparing them hard decisions at an emotional time.
It is not always possible to pay respects in person, so we hope that this small token will help.
It all began in 1884 with John T. Collins who opened a storefront Funeral Home at 59 Park Avenue, Rutherford. His deep desire was to be on the forefront of professional funeral service.
For example, in 1904 he was the first to offer a "motorized hearse" service to the New York and surrounding area.
After 20 years, Nelson (John T.'s son) assumed responsibility in 1924. He expanded his business and built the "first full service funeral home" in Rutherford on Lincoln Avenue, across from the the town's center of community activity the triangle open area called "Lincoln Park" . In 1952 he had the foresight to enlarged the business by buying the adjacent residence and utilizing both single and two family homes useing the addresses 15 & 19 Lincoln Avenue as the Funeral Home.
By 1960 his business grew, he decided to attach the two separate homes into one operating Funeral Home in 1961. This is the facility we have today.
Nelson having completed his dream and hoping to enjoy the rest of his life, decided to begin his retirement and offered his business to his loyal employee for 13 years,Walter Calhoun JR.
In 1968 Walter, his wife Mary and their five children became proud owners of the
John T. Collins Funeral Home.
Eight years went by and in 1976 Walter JR. added his family name to the business and it became known as the Collins Calhoun Funeral Home.
In 1996 Walter JR. began thinking of his retirement. As John T. did with his son Nelson, Walter JR. succeeded his business to his son Walter R. Calhoun III, who joined the family business in 1980.
Walter III carried on the family tradition to the families of Rutherford and the surrounding community until 2007, when Walter Calhoun III decided to retire out of funeral service.
On January 1, 2008, Walter Calhoun JR., offered Angelo G. Mania CFSP, who had been affiliated with the funeral home since 1996 through his support services business (AGM Funeral Services), the role of Manager and CFO.
After 125 years of Funeral service, the Collins Calhoun Funeral Home was passed on to Angelo as the proud new owner to carry on it's tradition in 2010.
Walter JR., states that he is confident, that the traditions built during this firms long long history will continue and prosper under Angelo's and his wife's Debra's guidance as he proudly begins it's 125th year offering caring, affordable and professional services to the residents of Rutherford and Bergen County community.
The newly named Calhoun- Mania Funeral Home and it's family of personalized compassionate service will continue well into the 21st Century.